I love book clubs! They are the perfect opportunity to examine Sofonisba’s life and accomplishments. Plus, I love the reader feedback. If your group is interested in a Book Club Zoom, contact me at email@example.com Please put “Book Club Calendar” in the subject heading and your targeted dates in the email.
- In the novel, what inspires Sofonisba’s choice to pursue portraiture?
- Sofonisba’s father Amilcare is supportive of her ambitions. What is his motivation?
- What does her tutor Marco represent?
- How does her art kit get her into trouble? How does it help her?
- At the King’s court, does either her gender or her profession limit her reputation? Does her gender or profession assist her reputation?
- The Plague of Burgos in 1565 decimates the town but then provides the cardinal a chance at redemption. Is it realistic the priest would regret his conduct toward the two individuals he addresses in his letters?
- What does the painting Lady in Ermine represent?
- What element appears in the first and last scenes?
- What was Sofonisba’s greatest life challenge?
- Would Sofonisba have been more successful if she were a man?